Compliance checks Can Not be done on MDH funding. This is a different funding opportunity-
The MN Department of Human Services (DHS) Behavioral Health Division, in partnership with the Association for Nonsmokers-MN (ANSR), is offering an educational tobacco compliance check opportunity, “Congratulate and Educate”. This is an opportunity to conduct one-on-one education on local, state, and federal laws around youth access with your tobacco retailers. The goal is to educate retailers about the important role they play in preventing a lifetime of addiction.
· This activity must supplement/not replace the state minimum of one required enforcement check annually;
· These compliance checks are for educational purposes only. No penalties to the clerk or business owner are permitted; and
· A person between the ages of 17-20 must be used to conduct these compliance checks. This is in response to state and federal laws that increased the age to purchase to 21 years old in 2020.
Timeline: All educational compliance checks need to be completed before June 30, 2023. There are no exceptions; this is based on the state budget calendar.
Eligible Departments: All local licensing agencies such as public health and law enforcement departments.
Reimbursement: $50 per vendor/per educational compliance check will be paid to the department. All educational materials for the tobacco retailers including a certificate will be provided. Funding is based on a first come first serve basis.
How do I apply? No grant proposal is necessary. The information listed below is needed. DHS will use the information to send you a contract, including all supporting materials. Please fill out this form with the following information:
· Department Name:
· Contact Person:
· Mailing Address:
· Email Address:
· Phone Number:
· MN SWIFT Vendor/ Supplier ID Number:
· Last date of enforcement tobacco checks:
· Number of Vendors*: *The number of inspections you plan to do. You cannot go over this number, and if you go significantly under, it takes resources away from other communities.
· How you would like to receive your supporting materials: Electronically or USPS mailed to you
· Authorized signers (for contracts) name, title, and email
Questions: Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org (651-646-3005) I am more than happy to talk through how you might implement this in your community!
What is the difference between all these checks?